Sunday 10 June 2007

Day 46: Extra News

Yesterday, I went to help out at my choir's jumble sale with Ania where We worked on the men's clothing section. There were some very friendly people there and one woman really was unwashed (referring to my joke yesterday about 'the great unwashed') yet a fantastic character seemingly straight out of a Dickens book.

She wanted an extra large top but we only had a large one at that time and she said (whilst smoking a fag, natch!) that it wouldn't fit her and showed us the area that needed covering. It was considerable. She later told me, whilst I browsed the books, that she came to The Highgate Choral Society jumble sale before when it was held in Highgate, reporting that she preferred South London and that someone had come from there just for the jumble sale.

It was absolutely packed, although the women's clothing had brisker business than we did. I asked my friend on the book stall to find my Gabriel Garcia Marquez's One Hundred Years Of Solitude as the fools at Haringey Libraries don't even stock it in the whole of Haringey. No wonder children are illiterate criminals, hehe!

Amazingly, he found it and brought it over to me at my stall. I am overjoyed. At last, I'm making progress with reading David Copperfield, too. I ended up leaving the jumble sale looking like a bag lady, with six bags stuffed with books, a wet suit and various other articles including a Barbour jacket. Betsy tried to get rid of some lacey black knickers at the end by tossing them in one of Ania's bags, which was funny.

Now I must crack on with researching the magazine market and applying for a contributor post. My photo shoot pictures are still being prepared.

No comments: